One Month Update


Hello everyone!!

It is quickly approaching one month here in Seoul. Tomorrow will be four full weeks, and man has time been flying by. I figured I would give a semi-detailed post about what has been going on. Some info about the job, culture, food, friends and night life.

The apartment situation is going well, I really have no complaints (except one) and I love being so close to school. My place is easy to keep clean, laundry is easy and slowly but surely I am getting used to the tiny bathroom. I brought some very nice sheets (thanks mom) and they really hit the spot at the end of the day. My only complaint is the damn plastic walpaper over concrete. It does not allow me to hang my posters up. Even duct tape can't do to job, DUCT TAPE can't hold up a dang poster?!?! (I am still working on it though, I will find a way)
The job is going well, the kids are still on my good side and I am having fun in the classroom. It is too early to see individual improvements in the students but our relationship is getting better. My Tiny Talk kids are only 5yrs old and adorable, and I find it funny I am teaching them sentences like. "What do you have?" "I have a ball." "It is red." After countless hours of calculus, abstract algebra, and differential equations I never thought this would be my curriculum. On the other hand my trophies class is so smart and speak great English so they can be very fun and we get into some interesting conversations about science and such. My Korean co-teachers are great! I bug them with questions I am sure but we have a pretty good working relationship. Thanks April, Tiffany and Grace!!
This last Friday I had my first open class. This is where the students moms come right into the classroom and watch me teach a lesson to their kids. This is really the only big deal, MAKE THE MOMS HAPPY. I had an open class with Lion class and we were very prepared and I did quite well. The moms were all smiling afterward and Cindy (the vice principal) said I did well. This coming week I have 3 more open classes, then I am free for a while. I am not too nervous but they are rather important. I will update you on my Domination!

Food is good. Spicy but good. Just about everything you get has some kick to it and I am definitely liking it. Koreans do spicy right. Over all I am liking the food, many good restaurants. The traditional Korean barbq is so good. Nothing more manly than cooking your own meat AT the table. The best dish I have had was cow vertebra stew! So so good, picking the meat off the bone, then drinking up the remains. Sounds gross maybe but amazing. The snack foods are okay, and I am getting all I can eat no problems. Still eating ramen, but it is tasty here and cheap. Oh and favorite place to eat so far, Don Kings Korean Barbq with drinks.

The night life is very cool here in the city and I have barely began to scratch the surface. My area Daechi-dong is a very wealthy and has some very fun restaurants and bars. Still hundreds/ thousands to explore. The other big night life areas are Iteawon, Hongdae and Gangnam. I will give a quick lowdown on what I have experienced.
Iteawon, total foreigner hangout spot. There is a military base near by so there is always military men around. It is also the most if not only multicultural area in the city. It has a variety of nightlife entertainment from bars, shopping, restaurants, street food, book stores and "Hooker Hill." Overall a fun place to visit on the weekends if your NOT looking for a good Korean place or people.
Hongdae, total club/ university area. I have only been there once because it is about an hour subway ride. It was very fun place, lots of dance clubs, bars, big building, restaurants. Not much info, besides the clubs/ bars are open late, we were there until 7am when they closed.
Gangnam, not sure, I only went there once to meet up with friends. I had great food, great drinks, and well ya. Gangnam is a district, where I live, but also a specific area. It has some of the biggest coolest buildings, no foreigners.

I am loving Korean culture so far. I really like how (for the most part) everyone is very respectful. Age is very important in Korean culture so as the youngest at the table, I pour everyone's drink first (with two hands). They receive the drink (with two hands) and them they pour my drink. Everyone seems to bow when saying thank you. Not quite sure when to bow and when not to, so I figure better to be over respectful rather than under respectful. I am learning how to read Hangul, (korean) and I am finding it quite easy. Within the month I expect I will be able to read just about everything. I won't know what it means but I should be able to read and say it out loud. Speaking actual Hangul though is a different story, anything but easy and I and still limited to a dozen phrases and maybe a dozen vocab words. Hopefully some new Korean friends will help with this process.

Well I have been doing some serious writing here, so please comment on this post and others. Ask any questions or requests and I will do my best to answer them. I enjoy getting feedback and reading comments and questions. I hope all is well is the other parts of the world, I am doing great, safe and sound and having a good time.

P.S.- I just booked some tickets for vacation. Going to China on the 18th!!! Shanghai and Beijing for 8days! Boooyyaaaah!

Comments

  1. Hi Phillip,
    Love hearing details about what is going on. Grandma really enjoys knowing what is happening in your life and that you are well. She will write when she gets her head together. The cast comes off on Friday (barring any complications). an then the real work for her begins, getting that elbow working. We are on our 4th puzzle and it will be done soon. I told Mrs. Smith (lesson mom) that you were going to China (they adopted a Chinese Girl) and she said that you had to stop Just to see the Wal-Mart in Beijing - unbelieveable. They were ther for 10 days to pick up Ellie. Mr Huhn asked if you saw any of the Korean army out on the streets. He was there in the late 80'-early 90's and there was a curfew of midnight to be off the streets. Alot has changed.
    Talk to you soon. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil, I finally got a chance to catch up on your last few posts. First, thanks for the goofy pics of you and your students. I used them in my "back to school around the world" lesson with 2nd grade. The photos backed up my theme perfectly: kids are basically the same all over the world. I can't imagine trying to teach my 7 yr olds to speak Korean! Although they do like learning how to say "hello" in a number of languages. HOW DO YOU SAY HELLO in Korean? It's not a language (or culture) covered in any of my picture books. I also liked your comments about Respect...I'll have to mention that to the 6th graders! I guess you don't "eye rolls" from your students?!

    Although the kid yelling "superman" was entertaining, I did not enjoy the video of you dangling from a super rubberband. Loved the video of your walk and would also love to see you entertaining the Moms at the open class.

    Glad you're enjoying the food and the nightlife.
    You probably figured out that Jon is not as technology connected as we thought he would be...a few blog posts, 2 phone calls, and some very short emails is all he's managed so far. But like you, he says the first month flew by! Enjoy!
    p.s. When do you plan to go to China? Caleb's aunt showed me pictures of the Walmart your Mom mentioned--not to be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom-
    I have seen and actually met several Korean military men. One Korean friend I have met several times (Woohyuck) starts the in the military on Saturday. I guess there is a two year minimum for all men in the military. And that curfew is hard to believe when I meet them for dinner at 1030/1100 at night. I guess it is somewhat different.

    Mrs. Cali-

    An yung ha say yo..

    That is the best I can do with how to say hello in Korean. I put spaces in there but it is actually one word.
    Yes the kids are silly here also but they do respect the teachers and do NOT ever want to get into trouble, very few if any rebels.
    I leave for China on Sept 18th and I will be sure to try and check out the Walmart, as well as the Great Wall and all that good stuff.
    Yes I see that Jon's internet use is far less but also see how he seems to be loving his jobs and the experience. Time is flying but I am really enjoying it.
    I hope all is well at home, take care and send my best wishes around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, GREAT post. Thanks I read each one with much envy and lots of interest. I am amazed you can read some "hangul". I've been watching a Korean comedy (sub-titled) called "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho". And I find any of the writing (as well as the language) nearly incomprehensible. But, then again, I'm not living it like you are. Still, pretty amazing!
    I'm glad your classes are going well and I surely hope you impressed the Mom's. Always important, but more so over there.
    And then there is China! Wow...just Wow.

    You know the drill, be careful but have loads of fun. Let us know if you need anything. If you send me your address I'll send some sticky stuff to try on your walls. I'm sure we can find something that works.

    TTFN

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment