Hospital Visit

Well this was a fun weekend, good party night hanging with the guys. On Saturday I was with some new friends having a good time but I could feel the effects of a cold, or flu-like symptoms coming on. I called it an early night on Saturday and spent the night tossing and turning. Sunday I woke with a sore throat and a sore body, my first cold in Korea.
Today, Monday, I was is rough shape. This felt worse than the usual head cold, more like strep-throat. I have a break on Mondays for an hour and a half so I walked down to the hospital which is only a 5min walk or so. I walked into the hospital with a little scribbled note written in Korean of what I should look for when I arrive. The note was worthless and nobody seemed very helpful. But I quickly found the ticket machine, just like the ones you get while in line at the deli, just a little more high-tech. When my number was called the girl who helped me at the counter did not speak any English, but I handed over my ID card and she asked why I was here (in Korean) I pointed to my throat and said "mok" which is "neck." She got the point and directed me around the corner. At the next station a kind women spoke English and asked if I spoke any Korean and continued with taking my temperature, which was 37.7 degrees C. (its about 100F but my math was not that quick at the time so I took her word it was high. So far the process has taken only 15mins, very quick in and out very little wait. When I was called in to the doctors room, he spoke English but with a very heavy accent. He asked some questions, took a look in my throat, and said "Is it very sore? It looks very painful." I laughed a little and said yes its sore whats the deal. He drew me a picture of my throat with all these gross looking infections everywhere and told me I had tonsillitis. He said I would be getting an injection here then some antibiotics for 3 days. I left his office and the kind women who took my temperature was also the shot lady. She told me this shot is for your "buttock" and it was a bad shot but she was slapping away on my cheek. Not sure if it was procedure to get all the medicine in or if she just really wanted to spank the white guy. But man this shot could make a horse lame for about 30mins, I was hobbling around for a bit. So I was good to go, just pay my bill then get my prescriptions. The hospital visit cost my 10,000won, about $9.00, and my prescriptions cost 5,000won. The whole process including walking to the hospital and filling the prescriptions took about 45mins.
It is a quick, efficient, and cheap process.

Comments

  1. Wow you sure are getting you monies worth of Korean culture but don't you think tonsillitis is a bit much! Seriously though I'm glad you are all right and what an experience in the hospital. I wonder how it got to be so efficient. We could certainly learn something from them on that account. And the cost is literally unbelievable. I'll have to do some reading on the Korean health care system. Anyway, get better quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Phillip, Sorry to hear you have been sick. Will you have to get those tonsils taken out? It was fascinating reading your account of the whole process. We need something like that here, especially the cost. Do you think that the cost was like that since you are not Korean and a visiting foreigner? Do Koreans have health ins. or is it govt. subsidized? Anxious to know when you are well. Your in our thoughts. Be well. Love, Aunt J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, its me struggling with the computer again. I do hope Jim has the patience of Job! I am well here. Jim and I are settled into a routine of sorts. Its working so far but I think eventually he will throw me and the computer out the door. Still working on my elbow but still hurts. Jim brought home two dumbells today. 2 pounds each, not much for most folks but a lot for me. I figure (if I last) I'll look like Popeye by Christmas. Hank is good. He loves being with Jim's girls and the big back yard to say nothing of the walks he takes them on - 4 to 5 miles at a crack. I do hope you are okay by now--think of you every day! Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. "tis the early morning hours here in Connecticut and it is raining. Raimed yesterday also/ Jim had a follow=up pocedure at the hospital. It went well and he is aokay. I continue p.t. at the center. I think I' doing okay but I still hurt so I'll be glad when its over. It's nice here in Tolland its kind of country with city accents. I'm driving now. For a while, my confidence was weak. I started out on the back roads, then graduated to busier ones, like the mall and now I'm doing fine. I've begun my volunteer work at the Senior Center.I worked there when I was here a couple of years ago. They are very nice people. I'm very glad that things coninue to go well at your house. Love you very much. Grandma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment