The Hanti Station Walk


Several times a week I make the same trip down the same street toward Hanti Station, or 한티 역. I never actually go to Hanti Station, it is the yellow line or something and it really does not go anywhere. If you ever use it, it is because you are looking for a transfer or something. Anyway, I have been cruising down this street for several months now and tonight I realized this for some reason. The first time I walked down the street it was with Dave, my foreign boss at work. I was in Seoul for less than a week, and had no idea where we were going. It was maybe 9pm and we were going to get some dinner. The street I have walked dozens of times now, is narrow and filled with cars, people and scooters. I remember very clearly wondering how the hell Dave or myself was not getting hit by all of these vehicles. Scooters would wizz by in both directions, cars would be going by inches from my feet and I just could not figure out where to walk. Dave seemed to be having no problems, but my head was on a swivel looking and jumping at every sound (especially the motorized sounds). We enjoyed a great cow or pig spine stew and I had drink with other guys later that night.
Almost four months later now I travel this street all the time, but it a different walk now a days. I have my ipod in with my over-sized headphones, blasting Miike Snow's Silvia (Roboberget Remix). I know where to expect the cars, I now know it is a one way street ( for cars anyway scooters do whatever they want). I also know that the scooters will not hit me and people usually move on account I am a foot taller than most on this street. I don't jump at the slightest sound, I just rock out to my music. I make this walk to get groceries from a small store and a fresh market. There are also a ton of restaurants down there with one or two bars mixed in. I enjoy the walk now and just had this strange realization today while cruising around finding some chicken and veggies for dinner.

I actually have no idea what 90% of the things are in the picture. They are all food, but besides the multiple types of Kimchi, I am lost and not too eager to try them.

Comments