Winter Update


Well today we had the first sighting of snow here in Seoul, and man was it nice. I stepped outside this morning feeling rather tired and groggy. But not 2 seconds into my walk I realized all the snow coming down around me. I instantly smiled. Big fat white flakes falling on the streets, on my face and all over the city. I was instantly reminded of being home, and waking up to some fresh flakes or maybe a nice dusting of snow. There was no dusting this morning but the the snow continued to fall. Throughout the day the flakes fell, sometimes slow, sometimes almost like a blizzard. On Wednesdays I have an hour and a half break at 2:oo so I was walking home and man was it coming down. Just outside work Terry, an employee at Wonderland who handles everything from our apartments to fixing the copier, to delivering the mail. And today he was my good friend for he had a nice package for me. I received a package from my Uncle Jim and my grandma Hill. (thanks a lot, it was a good one). I rushed home to open it and inside there was some unexpected Christmas decorations along with some of those edible goodies. First snow fall and x-mas decorations totally made my day and made me feel a little closer to home. I now have some decorations in my place and even a little decorated Christmas tree. Always a good touch for the holidays, especially when away from home.
I finally have some confirmed plans for Christmas time. Several of the guys I work with will be around so we are planning on having a similar dinner to our Thanksgiving one. On the 27th we have booked a room in the countryside to get out of the city for a couple of days. It will be nice to get out and see some of the country, and also nice to just not be working. December is a very busy month at work. Every month the children have a speech contest, so they have to memorize a book and recite. This is usually no problem and some kids do a great job. However in December we are adding to their list of requirements. Now our classes have to learn and memorize a Christmas Carol. My classes have "Deck the Halls" and "Christmas is Coming". Not too bad, but just one more thing for them. We are also writing scripts for graduation in February. All the students will be performing a play of some kind in front of the whole school and all the mothers. So we are busily writing these scripts, making sure every students has the same number of lines because the moms are extremely...uuhhh...picky ya that's it picky. So a busy month oh, and this month, on the 16th and 17th we have open classes. They are when the moms come into the class and observe their sons and daughters and make sure our teaching skills are up to par. So we will be practicing these classes several times before they actually happen. Gotta please the moms, they can be "picky".
So a busy but exciting month at the moment. Everything here is great and it is hard to believe it has already been 4months I am here in this city. Hope all is well on the home front and all is well for my friends across the world.

Comments

  1. Hi Dude,

    Glad you liked the goodies package. You can impress your Korean friends with the Jiffy Pop. And I hope the scarf keeps you warm as the snow falls. Love the video BTW. Let us know if you have an accumlation. Snow is in short supply around here. We had a dusting last night but it's already gone and they are saying rain tomorrow. Rain, wet and cold instead of snow is NOT fun! There some snow up north but not much for skiing so I'm jonesin'.
    So you are doing Christmas songs during class? Sounds a little strange. I guess Koreans celebrate Christmas with Santa Claus, et al? What is the predominate religion? Christianity or Buddhism? Well, mothers will be mothers regardless of the culture. As I say, always do your best...sometimes it will be good enough!

    You'll have to send some pictures of your time in the country. I'd be interested if there is a noticeable difference between city "culture" and country "culture". I hope you'll be able to do some skiing sometime as well.

    Well, TTFN...let us know if you want any thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, most Koreans celebrate Christmas, and I believe Christianity is the largest religion. And yes I think Santa Clause is a big deal, at least with the students I work with. They really enjoy the carols, it is funny hearing them in this new interesting accent, especially the class that is learning the "Dreidel" song.
    I will be taking picture for sure out in the country, it will be so nice to get out of the city for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you found out that teachers enjoy Christmas vacation as much as kids do! Hope you enjoyed the change of scenery and got some R&R as well.

    We missed not having you, Caleb and Nate drop by to see Jon this Christmas. Although it was strange not having Jon at all our family gatherings, we missed him most on nights we were just hanging out...and of course on Eagles game day.

    We're praying for peace all over the world but especially in your part! Happy New Year...hope it's full of many more new adventures. Stay safe! "The Cali's"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment