Umbrellas

Umbrellas are being used every day here in Seoul. Now it does rain a lot during certain months so it is understandable but I did not think I would be seeing them year round. In the winter they are used for snow, in the summer they are used for the sun, in the rainy seasons they are used for rain and in the fall they basically turn into wind swept weapons. It might sound dumb, but these umbrellas are dangerous and redicilous.
Now that we are in the middle/ end of the typhoon season here in Seoul the rain falls heavy almost every day. I don't mind having a rainy season, you just adapt and use an umbrella or come to terms with the fact you will probably get soaking wet on your way home. I don't mind getting wet but rumors are this rain is radioactive, nuclear or maybe just dirty Yellow Rain that comes from the deserts in China or something. However you look at it you need to use an umbrella. And this makes me mad.
It is a true challenge to navigate the streets in these times. Hundreds sometimes thousands of umbrellas block the sidewalk with their 8+ pointy ends right and eye level. (for me at least) People here seem to need beach sized umbrellas to cover one person half my size. So when a couple of these get going on a sidewalk in the rain it becomes a dangerous wet place to be. I often keep my umbrella closed, admit the fact I will be wet and hold my closed umbrella in front of my face in order to protect my eyes. Not only are there a large number of large umbrellas but even the way they are used is frustrating. They are tilted down in front of the face so these people cannot actually see where they are going. So run into you, they do. Stab you they do. Push you off the sidewalk into large street side puddles they do.
Some have found the great idea of clear umbrellas, and this actually works. They can look through their poorly positioned umbrellas and avoid most head on collisions.
I don't often bash on the locals but something needs to be done about this situation.

If I get the chance and my camera is actually with me, I will capture an image outside the subways where hundreds of umbrellas mass together.

Comments